Saturday, January 20, 2007

Something Unexpected

Well, I sat down just now planning to do the whole "Media Myth" blog that we're supposed to do, then realized that my notes on the matter are at school. I guess that will have to wait for now. In the meantime, I present to you...this.

Since the beginning, I've thought that the tv show Scrubs is one of the most amazing things on television. I don't watch much tv, because, lets be honest, most of it is complete crap. Scrubs is different though. It's quirky and off beat. It's absolutely hilarious, but at times can be extremely poignant and serious. It's the perfect combination of "laugh out loud" and "awww how sad" moments. The writing is perfect. Plus, how can you not adore Zach Braff? It's one of my favorite shows.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is not because I want you all to know how much I like Scrubs, but because I want to talk about Thursday's episode, which I just had the opportunity to watch. They've done it again. They've boldly gone where no sitcom(that I know of at least) has gone before. Friends, I present to you the Scrubs Musical.

Have I mentioned yet that I'm a huge musical theater nerd? No? Oh. I'M A HUGE MUSICAL THEATER NERD. I love it. I've always loved it. I always will love it. There, now you know. You can imagine my delight when I sat down to watch this episode to find that my favorite half hour show was not only going to be hilarious as usual, it was also going to be a half hour of musical pandemonium! The story focused on a woman who was hearing music in her head, though no one could figure out why. She was admitted to the hospital and as the doctors tried to diagnose her, she saw them dancing and singing their hearts out.

Who knew that it would be possible to showcase an entire Broadway-esque production in only half an hour? No, this wasn't just a few musical numbers thrown hastily together; the episode contained the classic fun opening number, showstopping act one finale, and heartwarming ending number along with the expected silly songs. It was very impressive.

I think this is why so many people are captivated by television: like most forms of media, it's a way to escape, if only for half an hour. It's also a way to connect with people. If a conversation isn't going quite as smoothly as one would wish, you could easily bring up this episode of Scrubs(or any other episode of any other show for that matter) and just like that, people are talking. It gives us something to talk about. Perhaps that's why television is so popular. Or maybe not. I guess there's really no way to know, right?

I'm sure the Scrubs Musical is on YouTube by now, or some similar site. You should probably go watch it. Now.

That is all:)

No comments: