Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Beam me up.

So uh...how 'bout those Trekkies, eh?

I am not a Trekkie. I have never seen Star Trek, or Star Wars, or any other Star-thing that has been mass produced. I guess I'm out of the loop. I realized that Trekkies existed, and that they were an odd breed, and that's where my knowledged ended.

Until last Friday.

All I can say is...wow. I'm fascinated. I want to meet a Trekkie and go to a convention just to observe these crazy people. A million thoughts ran through my head while watching this movie, and they were verrrry varied.

AT first, I had the reaction that is probably expected: "WHAT THE HECK?!" What is wrong with you people? Why are you so invested in this made up world? Why do you spend thousands of dollars on masks? WHY ARE YOU DRESSING UP AS A (INSERT STAR TREK CREATURE HERE)??!??!? I was kind of disturbed by these people. I wondered what was so bad about their own lives that they had to focus so much on this pretend world. Then the woman who wore her outfit to the major trial came on the screen.

Wow. I mean, yeah, it's weird that she's so into Star Trek, but wow. What courage and self confidence! I say more power to her. If she wants to wear that outfit and stand up for her right to be a Trekkie, than good for her. I want to meet her. It was so interesting how all the other Trekkies made her a celebrity at the conventions.

I guess I never realized how powerful Star Trek is. When the actors came on screen to share stories about the lives they have touched, I was floored. I don't care how crazy you think Trekkies are, this is amazing. Who knew that a scifi show had the power to save lives? This just shows how freakishly powerful the media can be...it can destroy us, or it can save our lives.

Trekkies aren't really that different from the rest of the American population. We all have our media obsessions. We just don't take it to such an extreme. Regardless, everyone needs a release, an outlet through which one can forget the world. For some of us, this release is religion, or art, or sports, or whatever. For them, it's Star Trek. Maybe they're not choosing to deal with their problems in the right way. Maybe they have lost touch with reality and need to come back, if only for a moment.

But you know what...it's not only Trekkies that are like this. So why judge them differently or make fun of them for it? I say good for them. It takes guts to be a Trekkie. Right?

Embrace the Trekkies. Befriend the Trekkies. But it's probably not best to become one.

1 comment:

DeLiRi0uS said...

Amy,
I couldn't agree with you more. "Trekkies aren't really that different from the rest of the American population. We all have our media obsessions. We just don't take it to such an extreme." This line you said right there really sums it up. We all are "obsessed" with something whether it be something like a T.V. show, a celebrity, or even a certain sports team. I agree with the concepts that Rudd laid out before us and that you summerized. Trekkies are real people like you and me, they just have a different view of things and carry a different type of obsession from us. I think we should continue to try and understand people like this and not just stop and call them crazy. Just because someone is functioning in a different semiotic domain than us, shouldn't mean that we shut them off and call them psychotic. We should embrace all, as you said, and grow together in the ever-intertwining media in which we function in.

~DeLiRi0uS~